Vietnam, a developing country, is located in Southeast Asia. The geographical position of Vietnam takes important roles in its development and innovation.
The country has a 4,550 km long land border with China in the north, Laos and Cambodia in the west, East Sea in the East.
Thanks to the long coast from the North to the South, and the large area from East to West, Vietnam has been considered as a vital strategic area in the eyes of the military in the world. There were many fierce wars in the past, but the Vietnamese people had to fight for national independence and protected their country’s territorial integrity.
To know precisely where Vietnam is located on the world map, and its economic position, we now check information about it below.
Location and area of Vietnam
- Location: Southeast Asia
- Area: 332,698 km2
- Latitude on the map: The mainland has S-shape, extending from latitude 23.23′ North to 80.27′ North.
- Length: Vietnam is 1,650 km north-south. The largest part on the land about 500 km; the narrowest place is nearly 50 km.
- Length of National Highway 1: The National Route A1 has 2,301km from Km 0 at Huu Nghi Quan in the North to Ca Mau Province in the South of Vietnam.
- Big cities in Vietnam: There are the top 5 most significant cities in Vietnam: Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi Capital, Hai Phong City, Danang City, and Can Tho City.
Population and national codes
- Population: According to General Statistics Office, in early 2022, the population of Vietnam is around 99,460,000 people (estimated). Vietnam has 54 ethnic groups. The main ethnic group in Vietnam is Kinh, accounting for 85.32% of the Vietnamese population (estimated over 84,850,000 Kinh people).
- The official language of Vietnam is Vietnamese (tiếng Việt); but, many people can speak English now.
- Calling code in Vietnam is +84.
- The top domain of Vietnam is .VN; there are .com.vn, gov.vn, and the others with .vn.
- The money of Vietnam is Vietnam Dong (VND).
The National day of Vietnam is 2 September.
Tet is one of the important official holidays in Vietnam. Tet holidays are the end day of the twelveth lunar month and the first, second and third day of the first lunar month. Tet are often at the end of January or the beginning of February.
>> See more about Vietnamse Tet.
Here are holidays that you can have a quick check:
- New Year, 1 January, every year,
- Tet Holidays, the 30th of the twelfth lunar month to the 04th of the first lunar month (lunar calendar),
- Hung King Festival, the 10th of the third lunar month,
- Reunification day, 30th April,
- Labor Day, 1 May,
- Independence Day, 2 September.
>> See more details about Vietnamese official holidays.
3 biggest cities of Vietnam: Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh, and Da Nang
Short information about Hanoi – the capital of Vietnam
- Area of Hanoi: over 3,300 square km,
- Population of Hanoi: Over 7,500,000 people,
- Coordinates: 21°01′42.5″N 105°51′15.0″E (Wikipedia),
- Motorbike numbers: estimated over 5 million motorbikes in Hanoi. Hanoi Government is planning to stop motorcycles moving in the city from 2025,
- Phone code of Hanoi is 024.
Short knowledge of Ho Chi Minh City – the biggest city in Vietnam
- Area of Ho Chi Minh: 2,096 square km
- The population of Ho Chi Minh: Over 8,500,000 people
- Coordinates: 10°46′36.8″N 106°42′02.9″E (Wikipedia)
- Motorbike numbers: Estimated over 8.5 million motorbikes in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Phone code of Ho Chi Minh is 028.
Short information of Da Nang City – the fast-growing city in Vietnam
- Da Nang has the area of 1,285 km²,
- The population of Da Nang city is 1,2310,000 people,
- Coordinates are 16.0544° N, 108.2022° E,
- Phone code of Da Nang city is 0236.
Where is Vietnam economy in the world?
In 2022, the value of Vietnam’s economy reached $409 billion, arccoding to the General Statistics Office. GDP per capita in 2022 at current prices is estimated at 95.6 million VND/person, equivalent to 4,110 USD, an increase of 393 USD compared to 2021. The current economic situation of Vietnam is on a quite favorable development.
Vietnam’s economy will improve significantly and soon become a healthy economy in Southeast Asia, and Asia. Potentials to develop Vietnam economy in the coming years are good. According to the economic searchers, Vietnam will be on the top 50 fast-growing economies in the world until 2050, and can be to the 20th position in the global economic rankings.
Vietnam tourism’s position in the world map
Vietnam has choosen to become a top 23 friendly destinations in the world, and Nin Binh Province with beautiful landscape is in the list, arccoding to Forbes in the article “The 23 Best Places To Travel Around The World In 2023”.
The number of international tourists came to Vietnam at the first half of 2023 is over 5,570,000 people. Hopefully, the end of this year will increase international guests visiting the country.
Top 5 famous destinations in Vietnam to visit when traveling to this beautiful country include:
- Trang An – Bai Dinh in Ninh Binh: Trang An scenic complex is a fantastic cultural and natural tourist site in Ninh Binh. On every occasion of the ripe rice season, the fields at the foot of the mountains turn a bright yellow color, creating a very poetic scenery. This area has many famous relics classified as critical national relics by the Government of Vietnam such as Trang An eco-tourism area, Tam Coc-Bich Dong tourist area, Hoa Lu ancient capital, and Bai Dinh pagoda.
- Phong Nha – Ke Bang National Park becomes more and more popular for domestic and international visitors. It is because this park has incredible caves and well-preserved natural forests. The hottest site is Son Doong cave recognized as the largest cave in the world.
- Hue City, the old capital of Vietnam, has a lot of royal palaces of the last dynasty Nguyen. The imperial palace, Thien Mu Pagoda, the Perfume River, Royal tombs, and Forbidden water park (Ho Thuy Tien) are the highlights of this city. Besides, the cuisine of Hue is also the main reason to attract travelers coming to this place.
- Ba Na Hills, including the Golden Bridge (or the hand bridge), in Da Nang City, have been the top highlights in Vietnam for recent years. Ba Na Hills has developed a big entertainment area with full of services for spending holidays there. And, the Golden Bridge is selected as the beautiful site for taking pictures because of its beauty, location in the high hill, and unique design.
- Hoi An Ancient Town is a peaceful stop on the way to travel through Vietnam. The ancient town has different things to do and to see, including traditional lifestyle, old buildings (houses, temples, Japanese bridge…), tailor shops for measuring clothes, excellent restaurants for tasting the food, and beautiful streets for taking pictures.
Frequently asked questions about Vietnam’s location
Which countries does Vietnam have the border with?
Vietnam gets the vital location of geography to go to Asia, creating borders with China, Laos, Cambodia, and the sea in the east. With the good conditions of geography, Vietnam has a lot of beautiful places to visit.
Can I see Vietnam on the world map?
Yes, of course. You can see the Vietnam map with an S-shape forming a beautiful developing country along the coast.
How can I go to Vietnam from the USA or Europe?
Two big cities of Vietnam have international airports: Hanoi owning Noi Bai airport and Ho Chi Minh City with Tan Son Nhat airport. So, you can easily fly to Vietnam with one of those first destinations.
In conclusion, Vietnam locates at an essential site in Southeast Asia and in the world map. It becomes more and more popular for travelers or business people coming to this country to spend holidays, or to invest their business.