Ho Chi Minh airport with an area of 850ha is currently the busiest and largest airport and has the highest transportation volume in the country. Its official name is Tan Son Nhat International Airport, which was built in the 1930s.
The airport has 2 terminals, including the domestic passenger terminal with an area of 40,000m2, and the international terminal with an area of 93,000m2.
The maximum capacity of the total airport Tan Son Nhat accommodates up to 100 million passengers per year.
Tan Son Nhat Airport
- Official name: Tan Son Nhat International Airport (TIA)
- Also called: Ho Chi Minh airport, Saigon airport, or HCMC airport
- Address: Truong Son, Ward 2, Tan Binh District, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Phone: (028) 3848 5383. Fax: (028) 3848 7450.
- Website: http://tansonnhatairport.vn
- AFS: VVTSZPZX
- SITA: SGNOPXH
- Airport code (code): SGN
Connecting flight notes
To help you fly better, there are connecting flight counters and guide signs at the airport. The transit department is on the first floor.
- Connecting flights between International and International: walk or lift as a direction in Terminal 2.
- Connecting between International and Domestic: walk from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 or vice versa as direction. If you do not walk, you can use the buses to serve passengers available in the front.
- Connecting flights between Domestic – Domestic: walk as the guides in Terminal 1.
When you check in the luggage at the first airport, you should mention the receptionists you have the transit flights. Then, they will note your schedules or at least paste the transit stick on your bags… to support you go easier.
The area of receiving luggage for the arrival of international flights is also on the ground floor, from carousel number 1 to 6.
The lost luggage counter is right in front of the Customs clearance area, the left corner of the arrival terminal.
Check-in counters in Saigon Airport to depart
If you have to continue flying from Ho Chi Minh airport to the next cities or other countries, you may come to the check-in counters on the second floor of departure areas.
Although HCMC airport is the largest one in Vietnam, it is also easy to find the places to check in the next flights for your journeys. If you cannot find a way to go, there are many workers available there for help. They can guide you to the right desks.
Utility services at Tan Son Nhat airport
To meet the needs of passengers, Tan Son Nhat Airport provides the following utility services:
1. Money exchange service: is located at the international terminal with 4 locations:
- For departure: near the gate No. 17 &18 and opposite to procedure counter D,
- For arrival: behind the customs counter and; International Arrival Hall (near the Exit).
You may want to read the guides to Vietnamese money.
2. ATM: You can find ATM on the ground floor, opposite Exit D2 door (domestic terminal); other machines at column 14, and column 3 of the ground floor of destination (international terminal).
3. Medical Services: All medical clinics are available 24 hours a day.
- Domestic Medical Clinic: Lobby between departure and arrival station, near door D2 (domestic terminal),
- The medical clinic for International departure is near door 18,
- Medical clinic for International arrivals is at the ground floor, isolated hall of arrival station (Door A2),
- The general medical room is at gate 17 on the ground floor.
4. Baggage storage service: Its counter is at columns 13 & 14, on the ground floor of the international arrival terminal. Operating time is from 7:00 am – 11:00 pm.
5. Playing area: The children’s playing area is located on the 2nd floor of an isolated area of an international departure terminal.
6. Baggage packing service: The domestic terminal has 3 locations: near D2 door, near the escalator to the departure gate, and opposite the A&B procedures. The international terminal has 2 locations: near the entrance of the gate D1 and the entrance of the gate D2.
7. Free Wifi: Both terminals have been equipped with free wifi service, operating 24 / 24h, allowing passengers unlimited internet access. You select the network “TSN Free Wifi Express” to connect.
8. Free battery charge service: The domestic terminal has equipped with a free battery charging service, operating 24 / 24h at the following locations:
- Door D1, opposite to Vietnam Airlines automatic check-in kiosk,
- Vietjet Air lounge, opposite departure door 16-17,
- 1st floor, opposite to security area,
- 1st floor, waiting area, opposite departure gates 10-11-12.
9. Sleeping box service: While waiting for the flights, passengers can rest at the sleeping boxes on the 2nd floor of the isolated area of the international departure station, near gate 21-22.
10. Business lounge services: VIP rooms at Tan Son Nhat International Airport include:
- Domestic terminal: 2 VIP lounges in the isolated area of 2nd floor,
- International terminal: 6 guest rooms in the isolation area of the first and third floors.
The good ways to move from HCMC airport to the city center
Tan Son Nhat Airport is about 8 km from the center of Ho Chi Minh City. The main area for tourists is district 1 on the streets of Pham Ngu Lao, Bui Vien, Le Lai – Le Loi, Nguyen Hue…
To move from HCMC airport to your hotel in the center, you can choose transportation options such as a motorbike, bus, airport taxi, or private car.
- For a motorbike and bus: If you are the first time to travel to Vietnam, I do not recommend you using these means. Motorbike is not safe. Also, the local bus is low quality, and it’s hard for you to drop you off right at your hotel.
- For an airport taxi, the first thing is many taxi drivers cannot speak English. Secondly, it is alright to use a taxi if you can control the price to avoid the driver taxi running around to make the distance longer. Besides, the price will be added to the airport fee and road tolls. So, the price is very fluctuating.
- For a private car, this transfer is the highest price, but you will get a better service. You come right to your hotel at a fixed price when you book in advance. The drivers trained well will serve foreign tourists, so you do not worry about the scam and have peace in mind to start your holidays in HCMC. The price depends on your hotel locations, time of flight, and a number of your group. For the average, it is from 19 USD for 2 guests for this drive with waiting at the airport max 45 minutes.
If you want to know the fixed cost of the airport transfer service or more advice about Ho Chi Minh City attractions, you can contact Vietnamdrive. One of our team is willing to support you.
When will you fly to Ho Chi Minh City airport?