Hue City (Thua Thien Hue Province, Vietnam) is one of the famous tourist places in Vietnam. This city was the old capital of Vietnam during the Nguyen dynasty from 1809 to 1945.
So, it has not only majestic imperial palaces but also the dreamy sightseeings. Despite hundreds of years, the ancient capital remains typical beauty.
Located on the banks of the poetic Perfume River, the Imperial Citadel has plenty of attractive royal palaces for visiting. Built-in 1804, the palace system with about 147 buildings was inhabited by the Nguyen kings and their families.
Besides, the mausoleum in Hue consists of 7 buildings located at different locations. In particular, the most special are Tu Duc Tomb, Minh Mang Tomb, and Khai Dinh Tomb.
Quoc Hoc High School is the perfect intersection between ancient French architecture and typical Eastern thinking. Having existed for more than 120 years, this place has always been a beautiful symbol of the studious spirit of the people of the ancient capital. Also, Truong Tien Bridge, Phu Cam Church, Thien Mu Pagoda, or Ho Thuy Tien abandoned water park are famous attractions waiting for you.
Not only the old buildings, but Hue City is also endowed with nature with countless beautiful views of the sea, forests, rivers, mountains, and passes. And, the cuisine in Hue is also a highlight which you list in your itinerary in this city.
Hue is really worth visiting after the wonderful holidays in Hanoi. So, you should allow your time in Hue from 2 to 3 days to explore most of the beautiful attractions and enjoy great local food. Let’s go to Hue City now!
Traveling distance from Hanoi to Hue City in Central Vietnam is 700km by land.
The best and fastest way to go from Hanoi to Hue is to travel with a direct flight from Noi Bai International Airport to Phu Bai Airport. Travel by air takes 1 hour and 15 minutes on average; the price is not expensive, ranged from 700,000VND (27USD) to 2,000,000VND (90USD) per airline ticket depending on different classes and time to book them. But low-budget travelers can use an overnight train or sleeping-bus from Hanoi.
Each method of traveling has different advantages and disadvantages. We introduce different ways to go to Hue from Hanoi which you can choose a suitable one for you.
How can you get from Hanoi to Hue City?
1. Travel by trains from Hanoi to Hue
There are many trains from Hanoi to Hue for tourists to choose to travel. Most of the travelers like to choose night trains. SE1 and SE3 are popular to be booked because they are the fastest and most convenient. You get on the train in Hanoi at night around 7:30 pm (SE1) or 10:00 pm (SE3); you will come to Hue Train Station at 9:00 am (SE1) or 10:00 am (SE3).
Many other trains depart from Hanoi to Hue every day. To let you know how to choose a good train and the fixed time, Vietnamdrive gives you some suggestions and the train schedule.
- Trains from Hanoi to Hue have SE1, SE3, SE5, SE7, SE19, and TN1; the even number codes of the trains from Hue to Hanoi: SE2, SE4, SE6, SE8, SE20, and TN2.
- There are different quality of trains with different seats and different cabins.
- Trains have hard seats, soft seats or sleeping beds with or without air conditions.
- Train from Hanoi to Hue takes you from 12 hours to nearly 16 hours. If it’s delayed, it is longer.
- The fastest train is SE3 and then SE1.
You should book a nice train from Hanoi to Hue with good conditions: sleeping soft beds and air conditioner cabins.
You can buy train tickets at Hanoi train station. If you need a transfer from Hue train station to the hotel or to visit Hue city, Vietnam Drive is here to support.
1. The schedule of trains from Hanoi to Hue (with an odd number):
* SE1 and SE19 are good to check.
2. The timetable of trains from Hue to Hanoi (with even number):
2. By bus from Hanoi to Hue
Every day, nearly 20 high-quality buses are running on the Hanoi – Hue route.
Buses coaches from Hanoi to Hue are grouped into 02 main types:
- Sleeping-bed open buses which are often used to transfer tourists including companies of Queen Cafe, Camel Travel, Hung Thanh, and
- Sleeping-bed local buses mainly transfer the local people in Hanoi and Hue City, including Duc Thinh and Nhat Tuan.
Each company Hue has a separate schedule with different ticket prices and quality. But, in general,
- The earliest bus from Hanoi to Hue departs at 16:00, the latest bus to Hue departs at 19:00.
- Journey time to Hue from Hanoi takes from 13 to 15 hours depending on each bus.
- The price of a bus ticket between Hanoi and Hue is an average of 270,000 VND / ticket.
- The cheapest ticket price is VND 250,000, the highest ticket costs VND 350,000.
|Departure time||Departure from Hanoi|
|Queen Cafe||280||18:00, 18:30||208 Trần Quang Khải|
|Camel Travel||280||17:00, 18:00, 18:45||459 Trần Khát Chân|
|Hung Thanh||300||18:00, 18:30, 19:00||162B Trần Quang Khải &|
287 Trần Khát Chân
|Duc Thinh||280||16:15||Bến xe Nước Ngầm &|
Bến xe Mỹ Đình
|Nhat Tuan||280||16:00, 17:00||Bến xe Yên Nghĩa|
Here is the detailed information on each bus company that you can use to choose a suitable one.
Queen Cafe Bus
Queen Cafe Bus belonging to Queen Travel Co., Ltd., established in 2015, is one of the most famous bus services during this route.
- Hanoi – Hue: 280,000 VND per ticket, 2 buses per day, departing at 18:00 and 18:30 from 208 Tran Quang Khai – Hoan Kiem (Hanoi).
- The car will stop to have dinner in Ninh Binh, and then go straight to the Queen Cafe Office at 11 Doi Cung, Hue City Center at around 6:00 – 7:00 am the next day. That is easy for you to start your trip to Hue.
- Hue – Hanoi route also has 2 buses per day, departing at 17:00 and 17:30 from the office in Hue, and to Hanoi at 6:00 – 7:00 am of the next day.
- Phone to book tickets for Queen Cafe Bus to go to Hue: 0243 9036 036 or 090 626 6464 (from 07:00 – 22:00).
Camel Travel Company is one of the first and very prestigious open-bus brands in Hanoi. This company offers 38-sleeping-bed buses to Hue with spacious, clean and full of modern amenities.
- Hanoi – Hue of Camel Travel costs 300,000 VND/ticket, 3 buses per day, departing at 17:00, 18:00 and 18:45 from 459 Tran Khat Chan – Hai Ba Trung District, Hanoi.
- Also stop at Ninh Binh for dinner, then drive straight to Camel Office at 15C Nguyen Thai Hoc, Hue City Center, at around 6:00 – 7:00 am of the next morning.
- Hue to Hanoi has 2 buses per day, departing at 17:00 and 17:30 from the office at 15C Nguyen Thai Hoc, Hue City.
- Camel Travel Bus has an additional charge of 50,000 VND / ticket for 06 beds on the first floor of the first two ranges (VIP beds). The rest of the beds on the buses are free to choose from.
- Phone for reserving tickets to Hue City from Hanoi: 024 8585 0555 or 090 222 7070 ( from 07:00 – 22:00).
Hung Thanh Bus
Hung Thanh Tourism Transport and Trade Co., Ltd. Xe Hung Thanh is one of the first and largest professional tourist open-bus companies serving in the route of Hanoi – Hue.
- anoi – Hue price: 300,000 VND / ticket, 3 buses per day, departing at 18:00, 18:30 and 19:00 from 162B Tran Quang Khai – Hoan Kiem and 287 Tran Khat Chan (Hanoi).
- Vehicles offer a pick-up and drop-off service in the Hanoi Old Quarter area.
- The car will have dinner in Ninh Binh and then go straight to Hung Thanh Office at 49 Chu Van An – Hue City Center at around 6:00 – 7:00 am the next day, very easy for you to start Hue tours.
- Hue to Hanoi way has 2 buses per day, departing at 17:00 and 17:30 from 49 Chu Van An – Hue City.
- Phone to book tickets of Hung Thanh to travel to Hue City: 0243 9900 333 of 090 225 2200 (from 07:00 – 22:00).
Duc Thinh Bus
Duc Thinh Buses belong to Thua Thien Hue Transport Joint Stock Company. Its buses are high-quality sleeping-bed ones of Hyundai Express and Thaco Truong Hai. This company is chosen by many people in Hanoi and Hue with enthusiastic staff and drivers.
In Hanoi, Duc Thinh buses depart from Nuoc Ngam Bus Station, so it is the best choice for travelers who stay in Hoang Mai, Thanh Xuan and Thanh Tri areas of Hanoi.
- Hanoi to Hue costs 280,000 VND per ticket, 01 bus per day, departing at 16:30 from Nuoc Ngam Bus Station in Hanoi.
- The buses support drop-off within Hue City Center.
- The opposite way Hue to Hanoi has one bus departing at 16:30 from Hue Southern Bus Station and running to Hue Northern Bus Station to start at 17:00 to Hanoi.
- Phone to book tickets of Duc Thinh: 0243 9036 036 or 090 626 6464 (from 07:00 – 22:00).
Nhat Tuan Bus
Nhat Tuan Buses to Hue depart from My Dinh Bus Station, Yen Nghia Bus Station, Hanoi. Nhat Tuan Limited Company has sleeping-bed buses with indoor toilets and free drinking water.
- Hanoi – Hue ticket costs 280,000 VND, 02 buses per day, departing at 16:00 & 17:00 from Yen Nghia Bus Station and My Dinh Bus Station (No. 1 Thien Hien Street – Dinh Thon Gate, Hanoi).
- Pick-up and drop-off services at Yen Nghia bus station add extra-charge of 20,000 VND per ticket.
- Hue – Hanoi has 01 bus per day, departing at 16:00 from Nhat Tuan Office at 21 Ton Duc Thang, Hue City.
- Phone to book tickets of Nhat Tuan: 024 8589 8333 and 0899 233 288 (07:00 – 22:00).
3. Direct flights from Hanoi to Hue City
To fly from Hanoi to Hue has the total flight time on each journey of about 1 hour and 15 minutes on average.
The airport in Hanoi is Noi Bai International Airport, about 30 minutes from the center of Hanoi Old Quarter by car.
The airport in Hue is Phu Bai Airport, a 25-minute drive from the city center.
Two big aviation companies invest and supply services from Hanoi to Hue are Vietnam Airlines and VietJet Air.
There are 5 flights per day on this route. Especially, during the peak tourist seasons, Tet holidays …, those two companies out of domestic airlines in Vietnam will offer additional flights to fulfill the needs of customers.
The price of a flight ticket from Hanoi to Hue from 700,000VND (27USD) to 2,000,000VND (90USD), depending on the classes and time of traveling.
You need a transfer from Hanoi to Noi Bai Airport. Then, you need another drive from Phu Bai Airport to Hue City. You use a taxi at the airport or book a private car service in advance.
Here is the detailed schedule of Hanoi – Hue domestic flights.
|Flights of Vietnam Airlines||Flight time||Date to flight|
|VN 1543||08:35 am – 09:50am||Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat|
|VN 1547||14: 55 – 16:10||Mon, Fri, Sat, Sun|
|VN 1545||18:35 – 19:50||Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun|
|VN 1545||19:00p – 20:15||Fri|
|Flight of Vietjet Air||Flight time||Date of flight|
|VJ 569||10:30am – 11:40am||Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat|
4. Travel by cars from Hanoi to Hue
From Hanoi to Hue is nearly 700km, so it is too long to drive on this distance during one day.
You should drive more than one day so that you will have more time to visit some beautiful attractions on the way. If you have only one day, you should use other vehicles as mentioned above (trains, flights, or tourist open buses).
Option 1: 4 days to drive from Hanoi to Hue with a stop at well-known attractions.
- Tam Coc – Bich Dong or Bai Dinh – Trang An in Ninh Binh Province is an amazing landscape set up by the mountains, ricefields, and rivers for day 1.
- Vinh City is the home of famous uncle Ho (Ho Chi Minh). This chance gives tourists to learn the traditional house in Kim Lien Village where Ho Chi Minh was born. And, this city still carries the Vietnamese lifestyle because not many foreigners come here, this is for day 2.
- Phong Nha – Ke Bang National Park is an incredible place that has a lot of beautiful caves. Phong Nha Cave and Paradise cave are great to visit during your trip from Hanoi to Hue, this is for day 3.
- And, Vinh Moc tunnels in Quang Tri Province are worth to stop exploring. This is a well-known historical site. You may learn how hard the local people lived during the war under the ground, this is for day 4.
Option 2: 3 days from Hanoi to Hue with fewer stops.
- Drive from Hanoi to visit some attractions in Ninh Binh and stay overnight in Vinh City (Nghe An Province. This is for day 1.
- Visit the home town of Ho Chi Minh, and drive to Quang Binh Province. Day 2 is overnight in this area.
- Visit beautiful caves in Phong Nha – Ke Bang National parks and drive to Hue City. The drive will end in Hue, which is for day 3.
Traveling by a private car to Hue City from Hanoi costs a lot of money. This is not for low-budget travelers.
With an English-speaking driver going with you for a few days, your journey in this way is more interesting. So, you need to book the car hire service with a professional in advance.
And, Vietnamdrive is one of the first companies in Vietnam supplying English-speaking drivers for comfortable journeys. Please contact us to get an inquiry if you like to explore local culture and interesting attractions from Hanoi to Hue.