The best time to travel to Phu Quoc is from October to the end of March. At this time, the temperature is about 28 degrees Celsius, with little rain, so it is very suitable for relaxing and beach activities. However, because that period is the peak season, the number of visitors to Phu Quoc is very crowded.
So, see more details of climate and weather in Phu Quoc to choose the best time for you as below.
General characteristics of the weather in Phu Quoc
Phu Quoc located in the Gulf of Thailand is a sub-equatorial monsoon tropical island, so Phu Quoc has many different climate characteristics.
The climate here is divided into two distinct seasons: the rainy season and the dry season.
- The rainy season in Phu Quoc lasts from May to October. The most rain will fall in September and October, sometimes it rains heavily and lasts all day.
- The dry season will last from November to April. Starting from November, Phu Quoc’s weather changes seasons, so it rains and shines erratically.
It is because Phu Quoc stays at the gateway to welcome the West-Southwest monsoon, in the rainy season, the humidity in the island is very high, from 85 to 90%. In the dry season, the island is affected by the Northeast monsoon, so the temperature will increase in April and May.
The weather of the months of the year in Phu Quoc
- January: The weather is dry, this is also the peak month of jellyfish season.
- February: Suitable for sunbathing, also coincides with the Lunar New Year.
- March: Sunshine at the end of the dry season is all over the island.
- April: This is the month of change of season in Phu Quoc, with many clouds, so there are few tourists.
- May: There are little rains, the air is still slightly hot from previous months.
- June: Appears more rain, starting the time of the summer holidays in Vietnam.
- July: The weather is similar to that in June.
- August: Appears heavier rains, rough seas.
- September: Heavy rain, not suitable for going to the sea.
- October: The month of change of seasons, the sea is calm and little rain.
- November: The ideal time to visit the island, this is also the seafood season, give you a good chance to taste seafood and the local food in Phu Quoc.
- December: The weather and beautiful scenery are suitable for a discovery trip in Phu Quoc Island
Choose the best time to visit Phu Quoc by month
April – October: South island is a good option
Compared to other beaches in Vietnam, Phu Quoc beach is beautiful all year round, but not every season is excellent. And you should note that Phu Quoc is divided into two regions: the North Island and the South Island.
From April to October of every year, the sea in the South of the island such as Bai Sao, Bai Truong, Bai Khem is the most beautiful place.
October – March of the next year: The North Island does not disappoint
From October to March, the sea in the north of the Phu Quoc island of Ganh Dau, Bai Dai is a perfect paradise.
The difference between the North and South area of Phu Quoc cause because the ocean currents change. During this duration, the wind blows strongly in the south of the island, this phenomenon makes the seawater near the shore not clear. So, coming to the Northern region of Phu Quoc is a good choice from October to March.
If you want to see the most beautiful seascape of Phu Quoc, depending on the time you need to choose the suitable destination is the South Island or the North in the pearl island accordingly.
The best season to travel to Phu Quoc Island
Peak tourist season:
The most ideal time to visit Phu Quoc Pearl Island is from October to the end of March. During that time, the temperature is only average 28 degrees Celsius, not much rain, so it is very interesting to swimming and relaxing.
However, because this is the high tourist season, plenty of tourists travel to Phu Quoc, causing room rates and food and entertainment services quite expensive.
Therefore, if you intend to go on vacation in Phu Quoc, you should prepare a better budget for spending over there. And, you should book accommodations in Phu Quoc island in advance to avoid getting high prices or no rooms left.
Mid-season tourist season:
If you want to have a more economical trip, you should go to Phu Quoc from April to June or October. At this time, the storm has not come yet, the sea has not become strong and the rain is not much, so the weather is quite pleasant.
Low tourist season:
The remaining 3 months of the year are July, August, September, Phu Quoc sea is rough and sometimes not clear because it is influenced by the monsoon, high humidity.
Your leisure activities will be affected somewhat. But in return, the service price in these three months is cheaper, so you can save on the cost of the boat, room rentals, and meals.
In short, if you want to travel to Phu Quoc at a good time with the cost, arrange the time to plan to travel to Phu Quoc around the beginning of April or the end of October. This time is the beginning and the end of the rainy season, the rainfall is not much, the temperature is cool, the landscape is beautiful, and importantly, the service price is also very reasonable.
Phu Quoc Island is located in the Gulf of Thailand, so the weather of this island is quite favorable for year-round travel.
If you travel for a high tourist reason, you need to book rooms and airlines tickets in advance to avoid high-cost or running out of services.
- You may want to check the tips to get cheap air tickets.
- And read more about the best time to visit Vietnam.
Also, if you do not want to join in the crowded at tourist destinations in Phu Quoc, but your travel time falls from the end of October to March, you should choose high-class hotels to escape from the crowded.
However, it is necessary to notice the time of the Tet holidays in Vietnam, which usually falls in February of the solar calendar. During Vietnamese Tet, many people can travel to Phu Quoc, and most of them spend a lot of money and choose luxury resorts on this island.