The best time to visit Vietnam from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City is from October to April of the next year. During this time it sometimes rains in Middle Vietnam and North Vietnam, but the temperature is mild in general for the whole of Vietnam. The average temperature of all Vietnam is from 23 degrees C to 28 degrees C.
Vietnam has strongly influenced by the Northeast monsoon; therefore the average temperature is lower than the average temperature of many other Asia countries in the same latitude. Compared to these countries, Vietnam temperature is colder in the winter and less hot in the summer.
Because of the influence of monsoon seasons in Vietnam and the complexity of topography, the climate of this country is always changed during the year, different from month to month, place to place (from North to South, and from low to high).
> You may want to check the 8-day tour from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh.
Here are some ideas to tell you about the climate and seasons in each area in Vietnam, then you will select the best time to travel to this beautiful country.
Short information to scan from month to month:
- December to January: The weather is cooler and sometimes gets rain, but it’s good to visit Vietnam. Sapa, Ha Giang, Halong Bay, and Phu Quoc are good to visit. However, Halong is quite hazy at this time of year.
- February: Vietnamese Tet often comes during this time. Thus, many restaurants and other services are closed. The price of services for tourists is much higher than the average days.
- March to April: The high tourist seasons come. Many tourists travel to Vietnam from March to April because the weather is good nearly the whole of Vietnam. Beach is good for visiting during this time. The choice of destinations is Mui Ne, Con Dao, Nha Trang, Hoi An, and Halong Bay.
- May to September: The summer comes, Vietnam becomes hotter and humidity. Beach travel or natural journeys are great to do from May to September. You may travel to Hanoi, Mai Chau, Sapa, Halong, Hue City with Lang Co beach, Hoi An and Danang City.
- October to November: The weather is cooling down but still has the sun. This is enough for trekking in Sapa or Ha Giang at the northwest of Vietnam. To travel to Halong Bay is to swim in the cool water. And, to explore the national parks Cuc Phuong in Ninh Binh or Bach Ma in Hue, and Cat Tien Parks in Dong Nai is an excellent choice.
Continue reading more about weather in Vietnam from famous place to place:
Weather in Hanoi, Vietnam
- Hanoi Vietnam has all four seasons: Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.
- The average annual temperature is 23.2 degrees C; the average yearly rainfall is 1,800 mm.
- The best time to visit Hanoi is from the end of September, and October (our own experience).
The dry season is the period of the cold and no rain, from October of this year to April of the next year. From January to March is still chilly but because of the spring weather, so it has mild rain (spring rain). Therefore it provides enough moisture for plants to bud. From May to September is hot weather with heavy rain and storms.
However, Hanoi Vietnam has fall season at the end of August, September and October. The autumn of Hanoi has blue sky and cool breeze. In the late autumn, the weather will be a little chilly and is quickly changed into winter.
The average temperature in the winter is 17.2 degrees C (the lowest is 2.7 degrees C) and in the summer is 29.2 degrees C (the highest is up to 39 degrees C).
Weather in Hai Phong, Vietnam
Hai Phong has nearly the same weather and seasons like Hanoi.
Hai Phong gets the tropical monsoon with its average temperature is 23-24 degrees C, and its annual rainfall is from 1,600 up to 1,800 mm. The weather is warm all year round and has fresh fruits for all seasons.
Weather in Halong Bay, Quang Ninh
Ha Long bay has nearly the same weather and seasons like Hanoi. The temperature is cooler because of the sea.
With the average temperature of the year is 25 degrees C. Quang Ninh Vietnam is an excellent destination for beach travel. This has both forest and sea with plenty of valuable seafood. Ha Long Bay is a famous destination for travelers in the world and Vietnam with thousands of islands.
Weather in Hue City, Central Vietnam
Hue attracts many tourists from November this year to April next year. It is considered as the best time to visit Hue, Vietnam during this season of the year.
Hue Vietnam is located in the strongly tropical monsoon climate zone so that Hue weather occurs in the cycles of 4 seasons: cool and warm spring, hot summer, breezed autumn and chilly winter.
The average temperature of the whole year is 25 degrees C with sunny hours is 2,000 hours per year.
Weather in Da Nang & Hoi An, Central Vietnam
These areas are also located in the strongly tropical climate zone; it is divided into two different seasons: wet season (October to February) and dry season (March to September).
The average annual temperature is 28 to 29 degree C, and the storms usually land directly in the city in September and October annually. The remaining months are the very great time to visit Da Nang and Hoi An for relaxing and beach tourism.
Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa, South Central Vietnam
Nha Trang is dominated by the warmly tropical monsoon climate as well as the nature of the ocean climate, which is relatively mild. The average annual temperature is 26 degrees C, and the average yearly rainfall is over 1,200mm. Nha Trang Bay is a famous bay in Vietnam, which is great for beach tourism.
Weather in Dalat, Central Highlands
The climatologists call Dalat as “the City of Spring” because the highest average temperature is 24 degrees C and the lowest is 15 degrees C during the day.
The average annual rainfall is about 1,755 mm. The dry season in Dalat is from December of this year to March of the next year, and the wet season is from April to November.
A unique point is that Dalat has the sunshine in all seasons. Thanks to that climate, Dalat is considered big garden with various types of flowers showing their beauty all year round.
Weather in Ho Chi Minh City, South Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh City is also a city with 2 different seasons. The wet season is from May to November, and the dry season is from December to April of the next year. The average annual rainfall is 162 mm.
The average temperature of the whole year is 27 degrees C. Especially, Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam has no winter; therefore, it is more favorable for tourist activities all year around. You may to check the details of Ho Chi Minh Weather.
Vietnamdrive hopes you can choose the best time to visit Vietnam to get real experience and explore the different culture.