Hue City is the center of Buddhism. There are over 100 pagodas in Hue and surroundings. Visit Hue city, many tourists also like to explore the beauty of some pagodas and learn more about the Buddhist culture in Hue as well as in Vietnam. Here are some famous pagodas which are good to visit.
Thien Mu Pagoda – Photo by Vietnamdrive
Thien Mu Pagoda
Situated on Ha Khe Hill near the Perfume River, Thien Mu Pagoda is 5km from Hue. The oldest pagoda in Hue was built by the governor of the city, Nguyen Hoang, in 1601. He had a vision in which and the old woman was telling him that the site had supernatural powers and that a pagoda should mark the site Emperor Thieu Tri later annexed a tower in 1844. The 7-storey, 21-m octagonal tower was built in honor of Nhu Lai Buddha and The Ton. The pagoda was badly destroyed in 1943. The priest Thich Don Hau, who managed the pagoda back then, carried out great renovations that lasted 30 years. The complex includes two zones. The towers are in the front and the temples are in the back. The three temples include Dau Hung, Dia Tang, and Quan The Am.
Bao Quoc Pagoda
The pagoda is situated on Ham Long hill, on Bao Quoc Street, Phuong Duc ward, Hue city, Thua Thien – Hue province. Bao Quoc Pagoda, first named as Ham Long Son Thien Tho pagoda, was founded by Ch’an Master Giac Phong in the late 18th century under Lord Nguyen Phuc Tan’s reign. In 1747, Lord Nguyen Phuc Khoat granted the pagoda a gilt board “Royally Recognized Bao Quoc Pagoda” added with the line. The king as a compassionate and charitable practitioner writes in person. During the Nguyen times, the pagoda underwent many restorations.
Dieu De Pagoda
Dieu De Pagoda now is in Phu Car district. It is one of the three “national pagodas” in Hue and was considered by Emperor Thieu Tri one of the twenty beauty spots of the old holy capital. At present, only the main temple is left, on both sides is Bat Ho Kim Cang, and in the back is a living room and a kitchen. In the front yard are shelter and bell shelter. Outside is the triple gate (Tam Quan) of two floors, with Ho Phap tower on top. In the back yard are four small walls and a pair of unicorns lying on either side of the entrance.
Tu Dam Pagoda
Tu Dam pagoda is located in Truong An, 2km south of Hue. A Chinese monk, Minh Hang Tu Dung founded the pagoda at the end of the 17th century under the reign of Le Hy Tong. It was during the reign of Emperor Thieu Tri that the pagoda was given the name Tu Dam. In the center of the pagoda is a tree that was grafted from a sacred tree brought to Vietnam by Buddhists from India in 1936. In 1951, the Buddhist Association Conference was held at the pagoda. Nowadays, the board of the Buddhist Association of Thua Thien Hue province is located here.
Tu Hieu Pagoda
Tu Hieu pagoda is located in Duong Xuan Thuong III hamlet, in Thuy Xuan village, 5km southwest of Hue. It faces the southeast and uses Ngu Binh Mount as a front screen. The pagoda was originally a small hut built by Nhat Dinh in 1843, who was formerly recognized by the royal authority as the monk of Giac Hoang Pagoda. In 1848, the pagoda was restored by monk Cung Ky with the help of the king’s eunuchs and courtiers. Tu Hieu hence became a large pagoda. In 1894, it was rebuilt by Cuong Ky with the support of King Thanh Thai and the King’s eunuchs created the half-moon lake. In 1962, the pagoda was renovated by Most Ven Chon Thiet. And in 1971 the three entrance gates and the staff house were rehabilitated by senior monk Chi Niem.